Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Meet Former Olympian Shirley Crowder Meadows, 76 #SeniorsOfFulton #OAM2016


Former Track Star and Olympian Shirley Crowder Meadows teaches a sittercise class at the Darnell Senior Multipurpose Facility. She hasn’t stopped moving despite knee surgery.
“I started running in ninth grade at Booker T. Washington here in Atlanta and that was an accident. I loved basketball and after basketball season, most of my friends who played basketball also ran track. One day I was sitting on the steps waiting for my friends and a person who finished Washington High offered to teach me what he knew about hurdles. While I was running in high school, a coach at Tuskegee wanted me to come and participate with her girls. After getting a Bachelor of Science degree from Tennesse State and working on my skills, I ran with Wilma Rudolf and Martha Hudson in the 1960 Olympics. Today, I keep moving in spite of my knee surgery. I would urge others with challenges not to give up. Get God on your side and keep moving.”
Shirley Crowder Meadows, 76 ‪#‎SeniorsOfFulton‬ ‪#‎OAM2016‬

No comments:

Post a Comment