Monday, May 9, 2016

Meet the “Carolina Lady” #SeniorsOfFulton



“I say I'm from Atlanta now, but I was originally a Carolina lady. I was born in Anderson, South Carolina. I moved to Atlanta in the 1950’s.
Every day I come to the Bowden Center and sit in the parking lot at 6:30 a.m. and wait for the doors to open. I started coming in 1998. I have a lot of friends here and everyone is pleasant, no matter your nationality everyone are friends. I'm a country girl. Growing up, we had neighbors who were African American. We didn't know anything about segregation, and I didn't know until my 40's about racism. We didn't have radio or TV. Only thing we had was farm work, school and church.
I don’t mean to be ugly, but I’m losing my hair, so I’d rather not have a picture taken of me. I’d like to finish by saying that I enjoy coming to the Bowden Center to breakfast with my friends.”
Fulton County Senior, 91, ‪#‎SeniorsOfFulton‬ ‪#‎OAM2016‬

No comments:

Post a Comment